Southwest canceled the flight before it took off.
Well, this can’t be good for Samsung.
A Southwest flight was canceled on Thursday after a Galaxy Note 7 overheated as the plane was getting ready to take off. What’s worse, according to The Verge, the phone’s owner says it was not one of the recalled models, but a replacement model with a supposedly safe battery.
“Prior to Southwest Airlines Flight 994 departing from Louisville for Baltimore, a customer reported smoke emitting from an electronic device,” Southwest said in a statement. “Initial reports indicate the device was a Samsung.”
A Samsung representative was not immediately available for comment.
The phone’s owner, Brian Green, told The Verge that he got the device on Sept. 21 from AT&T and it had the markings used for replacement phones. Green said that he dropped the phone on the floor of the plane when it overheated and that a “thick gray-green angry smoke” was pouring out of the device.
It’s the latest in a disastrous period for Samsung, which stopped selling the Galaxy Note 7 worldwide on Sept. 2 following reports of fires caused by overheated batteries in the device. The company eventually formally recalled the million or so devices it had sold in the U.S.
As of mid-September, Samsung said there had been 92 incidents of overheating in the U.S., including 26 people reporting burns.
The company had hoped it had turned a corner, though, after it received clearance to begin replacing recalled phones with a new model with a redesigned battery.